Blogoween Post 12: Hallowe’en Trivia
Today’s Blogoween 👻🎃 post is about Halloween trivia. Here’s a list of some of the most interesting factoids I found.
- Orange 🧡 and black 🖤 are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall 🍁harvest and black is associated with darkness 🌚 and death.
- Jack o’ Lanterns 🎃 originated in Ireland 🇮🇪 where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts 👻 on the Samhain holiday.
- Pumpkins also come in white, blue and green. Great for unique monster 🧟♂️ carvings!
- Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire 🔥 , share ghost 👻 stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
- Tootsie Rolls 🍫 were the first wrapped penny candy in America 🇺🇸 .
- The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts 👻 roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing masks 🎭 and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.
- Halloween 🎃 candy sales average about 💲2 billion dollars annually in the United States 🇺🇸 .
- Chocolate 🍫 candy bars top the list as the most popular candy for trick-or-treaters with Snickers #1.
- Halloween 🎃 is the 2nd most commercially successful holiday, with Christmas 🎄 being the first.
- Bobbing for apples 🍎 is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit 🍉 trees.
- Black cats 🐈 were once believed to be witches 🧟♀️ familiars who protected their powers.
- The fear of Halloween 🎃 is known as Samhainopobia.
For the month of October, I’ve joined book bloggers Sam and Clo to celebrate BLOGOWEEN! 🎃👻. I’ll be following some of the hosted prompts and encourage you to visit the hosts and show some love!